APCC 4EDIT1 The Association of Professional Conservative Chaplains, Inc.
a Christian certifying and accrediting institution
Exciting News From APCC!

Are You Considering Chaplaincy?

MilitaryChaplain1 (48K)If you want to practice as a professional chaplain in the military, business, or a clinical setting such as hospice (home or in-patient), hospitals, prisons, trauma units, rehab facilities or other clinical field settings then you need more than an ecclesiastic endorsement or ordination. Even a Masters of Divinity or an equivalent cannot guarantee you clinical employment as a chaplain. You need Clinical Pastoral Education/Training (CPE/T).

What is CPE/T?

Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE), also known as Clinical Pastoral Training (CPT), is a unique interfaith experience in professional and theological training for persons seeking growth and competency in clinical pastoral practice. In CPE/T you learn, through the action-reflection model, to provide pastoral services through the supervised practice of clinical ministry to persons in crisis.

The training focuses on:

Chaplain at the Bedside(36K)Clinical Pastoral Education/Training is a dynamic, interpersonal, and process-oriented training experience set in an environment where participants feel free to openly share, care for, support, challenge, and respect one another. In CPT, the faculty works to develop a learning environment that is supportive and stimulating as well as non-confrontational, and where trainees feel confident to risk interpersonal growth and learning skills needed to be successful in clinical settings. In fact, most clinical settings prefer board certification.

Do I Have to Apply for Certification to Take CPE/T?

You may take Clinical Pastoral Education/Training by either a certified or a non-certified path. Certification comes through completing the requirements of Clinical Pastoral Education as prescribed by APCC, Inc. When you meet the required competency standards, including the completion of the required number of CPE/T units, you will be eligible for Board Certification in Clinical Chaplaincy by the Association of Professional Conservative Chaplains. If you choose not to complete certification, you still may participate and receive Continuing Education Certificates for each unit you complete.

Do I Have to Serve in A Clinical Setting for CPE/T?

If you serve in a spiritual community as a pastoral care minister or practitioner, you can also benefit from Clinical Pastoral Education. Most seminaries and theological training centers do not specialize in teaching counseling, clinical and crisis support skills. If they do, they usually provide accredited CPE in their curriculum or more often, they refer students out to accredited CPE/T supervisors or centers for this specialized training. Often this is only available to those who are taking a specialized pastoral care track. The result is many ministers and pastors feel, "They don't teach this in seminary," when faced with supporting congregants through crisis.

CPE/T will provide you with practical education and skills that will result in your increased confidence and competency in supporting persons dealing with crisis, trauma, life-altering change, death and dying, loss, suicide, and other issues. You will gain insight and shared learning through field placement, in-class seminars and peer group interaction and support.

To apply for a unit one must go through the online application process. Those who have engaged in previous clinical training should submit their self-evaluations and their supervisor's evaluation(s). After all application materials are received and accepted, an Admission Interview will be scheduled

Are you ready to begin? Go to our Application Page to begin the process.